“Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour ”
Mountain View, Arkansas
15 Tips to Maximize Your Adventure
“Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour”
August 5, 2021
Tucked away in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, you will find Mountain View. A community of 2,900 people whose economy primarily stems from tourism related to being the ‘Folk Capital of the World’. They strive to uphold traditions of folk music and culture that were common in days gone by.
One of the facets of Mountain View and the surrounding area is the artists and artisans that call this part of Arkansas home. Once a year, participating private studios open their doors for a special event. While it is rare in this area, it is more common and known in larger communities and cities as ‘art walks’. This ‘art walk’ is by vehicle and is recognized by its title “Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour”.
This is a unique way to admire and enjoy not only the local talents, but to discover the mountains, backroads, valleys, and nature that endears so many to this area.
“Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour” will take place in 2021 on September 17, 18, and 19. This will be their 20th anniversary.
We have gone several times over the years, enjoying the drive, and oohing and awing over the scenery, art, and kind people we’ve met. I also head to their Facebook page to commit to attending or that I’m ‘interested’ in the event. This is the easiest way to maintain a connection to any notifications, updates, or cancellations of studios for this event.
Campgrounds, bed and breakfasts, hotels, and Airbnbs are available in this area for overnight lodging. If you would like to attend for more than one day and explore the area more, check the local listings through the internet for more information.
A map of the participating studios is shown on the official website for the tour. Planning a route is important. Remember, this is in the Ozarks of Arkansas, and doubling back to go to a studio you missed may sometimes take a lot of time.
Enjoy and take in all the studios you can. It is an adventure of discovery. We have been to a gorgeous studio on top of a mountain and have been to a studio on the banks of the White River. Both had spectacular views.
The beautiful landscape, music, and quaint downtown lead you to want to stay, just one more moment to check something else out.
15 Tips to Maximize Your Adventure “Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour”
1. Plan your route ahead of time of what studios you want to visit.
2. The studios are marked with signs by the street, road, or driveway. It is well marked and the directions given on the studios’ description on the website are typically spot-on.
3. Gas your vehicle up before you leave Mountain View. Gas stations are a little further and farther between in this rural area.
4. It may take longer to get to a destination in this area than what a mapping device shows you. Some mapping programs don’t have the ability to consider terrain and roads available between locations.
5. Grab something to drink while in Mountain View. You will stay hydrated and enjoy your day a bit more. Again, conveniences aren’t as readily available as in town.
6. If you aren’t used to curvy, hilly, or gravel roads, take your time. Some folks live off the main road, you may have to travel down roads you aren’t accustomed to. Take your time, drive what is comfortable for you.
7. If you get motion sickness while traveling in a vehicle, remedies such as ginger are known to help without the sleepy side effects of some motion sickness pills.
8. If you enjoy taking pictures, plan on taking several in between studios. Arkansas is known as ‘The Natural State’ for a reason. Enjoy!
9. The studios are often inside someone’s home. If you have children with you, it is always helpful to remind them they are guests.
10. Hospitality is typically front and center when you go into their studios, some even offer a small treat.
11. Keep in mind this is a great place to find wedding, birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc. gifts. Many studios have the capability to accept credit and debit cards, but not all will so you may want to bring some cash.
12. If you are lucky, you may catch an impromptu music group performing up around the square in Mountain View. If you have the time, sit and enjoy.
13. Mountain View has multiple restaurants and shops to enjoy while you are in town.
14. Mountain View has a public restroom available on the courthouse square.
15. The Arkansas Craft Gallery in downtown Mountain View is a ‘must stop’. It is home to a selection of works from juried artists calling Arkansas home.
Grab your family, bestie, friends, spouse, or partner and head into the mountains where you will find arts and crafts sure to inspire you. There is something for everyone.
“Off The Beaten Path Studio Tours”
Friday, September 17, 2021, and Saturday, September 18, 2021, both days 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday, September 19, 2021, hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Official Website for Studio Tour
(Disclaimer: This is not endorsed, supported, or promoted by the “Off The Beaten Path Studio Tour”. We fell in love with this tour years ago and want to share it with everyone.)
Take care and safe travels,